Homeschool Nature Study Course, Grades K-5
Year One Curriculum – “Habitats – The Diverse Needs of Animals”
(Offered Fall 2023- Spring 2024)
K - Grade 2 Animals and their Homes (meadow, woods and wetlands)
- An exploration of various animals, their homes and special needs for survival. Observation and exploration will take place in the Nature Center and out on the trails.
Grades 3-5 Healthy Habitats (meadow, woods and wetlands)
- An exploration and comparison of various animal and plant habitats and the inter-relationship of everything that makes up a living community. The role of producers, consumers and decomposers will be studied, along with the web of life.
Year Two Curriculum - “Water – Nourishing all of Life”
(Offered Fall 2024- Spring 2025)
K - Grade 2 The World of Water (marsh and lake shore)
- An exploration of various plants and animals that live in the marsh and along the lake shore. Observation and interaction will take place in the Nature Center and along the marsh and lake.
Grades 3-5 Marsh and Pond Life (fresh water marsh and lakes)
- An exploration and understanding of the inner-relationships of everything that lives and grows in a wetland community. Learning about macroinvertebrates, wetland plants, water cycles, properties of water and the importance of keeping our water clean are just a few of the topics to be explored.
Year Three Curriculum - “Soil – Impacting Our Lives”
(Offered Fall 2022- Spring 2023)
K - Grade 2 Soil Sampler (What is dirt and what is it good for?)
- Exploration of soil and how it is formed, and the importance of soil to us and all living things. Learning about animals that use soil to make their homes.
Grades 3-5 The Earth (rocks, minerals, sand and humus)
- Exploration and identification of rocks, minerals and soil types. Understanding the importance of soil conservation. Engaging in activities that explore pioneer and Native American uses of earth resources.